Netflix Password Sharing Crackdown – The End of Account Sharing?

March 14, 2021

Netflix Password Sharing Crackdown – The End of Account Sharing?

Earlier this week, we saw several social media posts talking about Netflix starting to crack down on password sharing.

Password sharing is not an uncommon practice among the millions using Streaming Apps like Netflix.

A study from the research firm Magid in 2018 estimated that 35 percent of millennials share passwords for streaming.

In a recent social media post that went viral, a Netflix subscriber captured a screenshot that states the following:

“Start your own Netflix for free today. If you don’t live with the owner of this account, you need your own account to keep watching.”

This has led many to question whether the streaming giant is going to end password sharing for good on their platform.

You can see the full tweet below (from @DOP3Sweet).

O no. Netflix doing the purge?!? pic.twitter.com/XXlHtfgfsy

— chante most (@DOP3Sweet) March 9, 2021

You will also notice there is now an account verification prompt using email or text.

According to the Netflix Terms of Use, an account is only allowed to be shared with members of your household.

“The Netflix service and any content viewed through our service are for your personal and non-commercial use only and may not be shared with individuals beyond your household.”

This leads us to question if users will need to be logged on to the same IP address to be considered in the same household.

Many use a Netflix VPN to access geo-restricted content and this may be a method to bypass password sharing in the future.

With this new crackdown, Netflix is likely trying to push viewers to sign up for their own membership instead of sharing.

Additional subscribers means more revenue for streaming services.

And with the rise of Disney Plus, Peacock TV, Paramount Plus, HBO Max, Discovery Plus, etc. it’s becoming clear that gaining new subs is more competitive by the day.

It will be interesting to see how Netflix responds going forward, but it’s clear that many are unhappy about the inevitable end of password sharing.

NulledMedia TIP: For other VOD options for streaming movies and TV shows, refer to our popular guides below.

Best Firestick Apps
Best Movie Streaming Sites

Also, check out our IPTV Guide if you are looking for the best live TV streaming options.

Comment Below!

What do you think about Netflix cracking down on password sharing? Do you think this will hurt Netflix?

We want to hear your thoughts in the comments below!

Be sure to stay up-to-date with the latest streaming news, reviews, tips, and more by following the NulledMedia Advisor with updates weekly.

This Advisor provides all the best cord-cutting tips to get the most out of your favorite streaming devices and more.

Click the link below to join the other 800,000 Advisor subscribers.

Free NulledMedia Advisor

2 Comments

1. David Khul
    March 12, 2021 at 3:57 pm – Reply

I have a family plan which allows each of my three university kids to watch Netflix. Take that ability away from me and I cancel Netflix. With so many alternatives now who needs that added cost burden.

2. Karen Zayatz
    March 12, 2021 at 3:46 pm – Reply

We have a shore house and use Netflix there also. Would not be worth it to have two accounts. And when I visit my daughter I use my Netflix on my tablet. So by restricting to one up address this would really cramp people who travel or have a second home

3. Rob Alfano
    March 12, 2021 at 3:32 pm – Reply

I find less and less of things I want to watch. I no longer subscribe to any of these services and watch little besides live sports and news. I’m happy to step away from the TV. The decentralization of TV from cable is going to wind up costing more money than you paid for cable in the end. And you get less content. 13 episodes is now a full season. Bye 🙂

4. Dan
    March 12, 2021 at 2:58 pm – Reply

I read many of the other comments and agree with some. I don’t think it will hurt the bottom line of Netflix one bit. This has been long over due. Other subscription services lock you to your IP address or like YouTube TV allow you to take your subscription on the road just as no one is logged on at your home IP. I don’t have any hard feelings against Netflix for wanting to increase revenue after all the folks sharing and using someone else’s passcode is not allowed. Netflix just didn’t enforce the contract you signed and should have read. If Netflix continues to put out good content then they will continue to thrive if they keep their subscription price competitive. I dropped Netflix years ago and sideload everything. My choice, but not for everyone.

5. Bobby Black
    March 12, 2021 at 2:56 pm – Reply

Frank Lopez:
    Lesson number one: Don’t underestimate the other guy’s greed!

6. Chip Douglas
    March 12, 2021 at 2:32 pm – Reply

I use my daughters Netflix and like someone else has stated above. I most probably wouldn’t subscribe to it. Most of the stuff is on Kodi or Tubi. I do have my own prime video, and i don’t even watch it. I’m thinking about unsubscribing tbh.

As long as free streaming is available, I won’t be worrying too much about it. It will be interesting to see what happens. There seems to be such a buzz about non mainstream media at the moment. I am loving this invisible, ‘war of the airwaves’ .

I’d like to say a big thanks to Troypoint too. THANKS FOR BEING THERE ??

7. George Gilliam
    March 12, 2021 at 1:27 pm – Reply

With so many services rising up requiring monthly access fees, viewers are going to need to decide which services are going to get their hard earned dollars. It’s a given that services that let you share are going to earn or hold on to more of the market than those who tighten the reins. Using my Netflix account when I travel has been one of the greatest benefits I enjoy but if they do this I have to believe that it will make that difficult if not impossible. I see a lot of disgruntled subscribers in any future where that becomes our reality.

8. Steve
    March 12, 2021 at 1:16 pm – Reply

I share my daughters Netflix account, she uses my Apple+ and Prime accounts. I also use my Sons Sky account. I get Apple for free and I wouldn’t pay for Netflix or Sky so they’d get no money out of me if they stopped it.

• Althea
      March 12, 2021 at 3:26 pm – Reply

Same here

9. Chris Henry
    March 12, 2021 at 1:14 pm – Reply

Netflix will definitely lose out because a lot of people won’t need the top price package which means a lot of members will cut down to lowest package and probably other family members won’t open new account thay will just use the kodi and cinema HD app could be the death of netflix if they do this

10. Piet Germanato
    March 12, 2021 at 11:41 am – Reply

Netflix is smoking their socks, underpants and sweaty gym vests,

11. Bud
    March 12, 2021 at 10:49 am – Reply

I dropped my subscription to Netflix a couple of years ago and I do not miss them! They are too political. I resent any public business getting involved in politics.

12. Danny Buttar
    March 12, 2021 at 10:27 am – Reply

I always thought when you opened a Netflix account It was yours, as long as you paid your subscription. This meant you could use your account anywhere in the world you travelled to. For example , I live in Scotland and last year visited my son in Australia, whilst there I used my own Netflix account and my daughter back home in Scotland could use the same account to watch her programmes , but if Netflix are going to limit the account to one IP address might need to look at alternatives.

• Chris Henry
      March 12, 2021 at 1:17 pm – Reply

Very Good point netflix are just like sky greedy

13. George Christodoulou
    March 12, 2021 at 9:47 am – Reply

I share with a client of mine as I thought we were allowed to with one other person

14. David Peters
    March 12, 2021 at 8:59 am – Reply

With all of the available alternative sources for television and movie content, I personally think that this policy may very well be a crippling blow to Netflix. Their continuing price increases are not justified by the quality (and quantity) of their content.

• John Goodson
      March 12, 2021 at 2:52 pm – Reply

I dropped netflix because of lack of content and pricing 3 months ago, I got discovery plus so much better. Also my fire tv with kodi still rocks whatever I want

15. Wayne Wignall
    March 12, 2021 at 8:56 am – Reply

What does it matter if you pay for 5 sign on’s where it is watched its still getting paid for

• Pamela A Herring